Aine's Banner

Banner

Killery Church Ruins
Killery Church Ruins

All that now remains of the old Killery Church are two sidewalls and a gable.


Click For:   Aine's Welcome Movie




Killery Church Outrage

Killery Church Interior View
In 1346 the Church was the scene of an outrageous incident.
Ualgarg O'Rourke fled to the Church for sanctuary while he was pursued by rival tribal chiefs, who set fire to the building and killed O'Rourke, as he was attempting to escape the flames.



Killery Straining String Stones

Killery Straining String Stones The Killery Straining String Stones are located near the centre of the graveyard attached to Killery Church.
Comprising a circle of round & oval shaped stones, at the centre of which a single rectangular shaped stone protrudes upright from the ground.

The rectangular shaped stone will have pieces of thread or strings attached to it.

The supposedly infallible cure for all sorts of aches, pains and sprains is invoked by the sufferer or deputy by removing one string from the stone and replacing it with another, while reciting certain prayers.
The removed string is then applied to the afflicted part.

The straining stones are dated fourteenth to eighteenth century.

Although, the ritual is a Christian plea for Divine intervention,
it obviously has its roots in Pagan times.



Ancient Killery Costume

Killery Costume


Killery Coat In 1824 human remains were found at a depth of six feet in a bog in Killery. The remains were so well preserved that an inquest was held.

The clothing was in an even better state of preservation and was said to be 15th. century.

The Royal Academy Museum had a man dressed in the clothing to enable a woodcut artist's impression to be taken of them.



The cloak and coat were composed of a soft, brown cloth with the coat having a finer texture.

The trousers had two different parts, the upper being thick and coarse and the lower a brown and yellow plaid.

Describing the coat, Sir William Wilde said:
" It's a sort of frock or tunic, it is single breasted and has fourteen circular buttons ingeniously formed of the same material as the coat itself.

" The sleeve has two portions, joined at an angle across the elbow, below which it is open with twelve small buttons along the outer flap."

The ancient Killery costume is housed at the National Museum in Dublin.

Poet W. B. Yeats' famous Lake Isle of Innisfree is closest to the County Sligo mainland from the little mooring at Killery.




Lake  Isle of  Innisfree

Click Images below for full size Pics.
(Please wait for page to Fully Load)

Innisfree1.jpg
650x465 16.7M
[73 KB]

Innisfree2.jpg
510x604 16.7M
[97 KB]

Innisfree3.jpg
640x480 16.7M
[66 KB]

Innisfree4.jpg
500x580 16.7M
[59 KB]

Innisfree5.jpg
640x480 16.7M
[77 KB]

Innisfree6.jpg
540x594 16.7M
[60 KB]

Innisfree7.jpg
620x465 16.7M
[49 KB]

Innisfree8.jpg
640x480 16.7M
[72 KB]

Innisfree9.jpg
640x480 16.7M
[97 KB]

Innisfree9a.jpg
530x595 16.7M
[67 KB]

Innisfree9b.jpg
550x585 16.7M
[63 KB]

Warrior_Sleeps.jpg
620x465 16.7M
[82 KB]



Copyright © 2006 Áine

Back to INDEX