LOUGH GILL is a most beautiful lake located about 2 miles east of Sligo Town.
ON THE SHORES OF
Serene and beautiful place of Pilgrimage going back to Penal days and beyond to Pagan times.
The main Pilgrimage day is Garland Sunday - last Sunday in July.
From the top of Dooney Rock one can view beautiful Lough Gill in its entirety!
Dooney Rock has of course, been made famous by W.B. Yeats in his poem:
'The Fiddler of Dooney'
In his poem ' The Stolen Child ' Yeats refers to Slish Wood as Sleuth Wood
- ' WHERE dips the rocky highland Of Sleuth Wood in the lake '
Once a House of The Wynnes of Hazelwood, now St. Angela's College.
Established by the Ursuline Order in 1950 as a centre of 3rd. level education.
Parke's Castle is an early 17th. Century manor-house and bawn (enclosed yard) with towers on the angles.
A Castle of the O'Rourkes of Breffni was situated nearby.
Colgagh Lake is located a few miles north of Sligo town,
about a mile from Lough Gill.
It is a very small lake but offers a splendid sight when viewed from high ground.
Built in 1730 by Owen Wynne to the design of the German architect Richard Cassels who also designed St. John's Cathedral, Sligo & Leinster House, Dublin.
Hazelwood picnic area & woodland walk is nearby at Half Moon Bay.
Click on Picture (below) for Map of Lough Gill.
Copyright © 2001 Áine
Back to INDEX